Camaret-sur-Mer

Leaving Mont-Saint-Michel, we headed to the famous walled city of Saint-Malo, one of Brittany's north-coastal cities heavily bombarded my German artillery during WWII. I was reading All the Light We Cannot See while in France, which partly takes place in Saint-Malo. I truly hated that book, even though it was probably the most beautiful book I've read.

Anyway, you can read more about Saint-Malo here. I found the exterior of the city beautiful, with people digging for oysters at low tide on the vastly wide beaches. But the actual city was quite disappointing; to me it was one big, glossy mall-tourist trap in a medieval setting.

So we continued deeper into Brittany and explored the eastern-most coast, called "Le Finistere", meaning the end of the world, which is part of the Crozon Peninsula. And it quite literally feels like that. Like you're standing at the edge of the world, the land giving way to the foggy Atlantic and the UK beyond.

Here, we hiked the craggy cliffs of the small seaside town called Camaret-sur-Mer and had lunch at its little port afterwards, where I tried the delicious "biere Breton", beer made from buckwheat and honey.

The scenery along the hike was breathtaking. Gorgeous meadows of wildflowers with white jutting rocks and windy paths leading to the edge of the cliffs. Looking down, you could see the ancient limestone formations lapped by the turquoise and dark blue ocean. I did my last drawings of the trip here, among sprinkly rain and blustery wind.






Back to: France


Comments

Popular Posts