London: Day 1

Jolly good, we are here. Although both my sister and I were dragging ourselves from the airport to our hotel after a bumpy, not-so-restful flight, we were determined NOT to crash on our comfy hotel beds and miss London: Day 1.

Our hotel was tucked into the lovely neighborhood of South Kensington, so it felt as thought we lived there—in our sweet chandelier-clad room with our puffy-pillowed beds, with Marie-Antoinettish decor and marble-floored bathroom.

We started out having lunch at a Moroccan cafe in South Ken. It was a chilly 60 degrees but we still chose to eat outside, cuz they had such a sweet set-up and the fresh mint tea warmed us up for the next few hours of outside sight-seeing!

Next we went to the opening at the Underground Gallery, where my piece, Winged Victory would be on view there, as well as in the Tube. It was exciting to try to find the poster itself, as it was being displayed in the South Kensington subway station. Coming face to face with my work, at that size and in that space...well, it was thrilling. Really, it was thrill and a bit unbelievable. I have pictures to prove it really happened.




Hearing how people interpreted my piece was rewarding as hell. And speaking to the director of the exhibition was equally rewarding. He was so impressed that I came all the way from NY for this...I have to thank Mar for that...she convinced me to go.


Trafalgar Square
Trafalgar Square
 
Picadilly Circus. The Union flags were everywhere bc of the Diamond Jubilee

Cool horse sculpture made of hubcaps. (and red double-decker refelcted in morror :)


I love this fairy sculpture at Picadilly Circus




Next on the list of things to do was the London Eye. We crossed the Millenium Bridge in order to get there and were shortly in our own glass pod slowly rising over London. I have to say, it wasn't as great as I imagined...maybe if it was later at night when the city was lit up or if we had some champagne with us, as others did. Still it was pretty, and here are a few pics from that.





London Eye and sunset over London
Big Ben-yay!!!-and House of Parliament


Comments

Popular Posts