La Madre, after Picasso

Went to the opening of the Picasso/Francoise Gilot exhibit at the Gagosian Gallery on Madison Avenue. The galleries themselves, encompassing three floors, are exquisite, and the work was less than breathtaking. I was mesmerized. I found myself standing in front of certain favorite pieces, studying, taking in, letting my eyes wander over the shapes and colors, a meditation.

Picasso has always been an inspiration to my work, be it his drawings, paintings, linoleum cuts, ceramics...

When in Mexico, I'd been struck by the image of a woman holding a baby in one arm–which was suckling at her large, exposed breast–while selling her handmade toys in the other. I couldn't get this image out of my head and have kept drawing it in different ways and styles, after Picasso.
La Madre I (9 1/4 x 6 1/2)
La Madre III (9 1/4 x 6 1/2)

La Madre II (9 1/4 x 6 1/2)


La Madre IV (9 1/4 x 6 1/2)





Comments

Popular Posts